This Muscle Energy Technique is a great way to help relieve the tight feeling in those upper trapezius muscles that so often cause issues especially if we work long hours at a desk.
<iframe width="390" height="230" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/H9TWzMtYpIk" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>
1. Sitting on a chair or bench, place the right hand under the chair. This is to be used as an anchor and to prevent the shoulders from lifting.
2. Bend the neck so that the left ear drops towards the left shoulder.
3. Ensure that the right shoulder does not move.
4. Place the left hand over the top of the head and rest on the right side of the head towards the right ear.
5. Apply pressure into the left hand by attempting to return the head to it's normal resting position. This should be a gentle pressure or around 20% resistance.
6. Hold for 10-20 seconds before releasing and repeating on the opposite side.